- Marrow - erythroid hyperplasia without other pathology
- DIAGNOSIS: warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA); he was started on prednisone.
- He was transfused with 4 RBC units on day 2 of admission when his Hct dropped to 14%. Hemolysis continued, requiring 2 to 4 RBC units/d despite steroids. He eventually received Imuran and subsequently vincristine, to which he finally responded.
- Total number of RBC units received was 25.
- During this admission, the patient developed methicillin-resistant staphylococcal infection, successfully treated with levofloxacin and vancomycin.
- Breakpoint #3:
Is there a unifying disease entity for this patient and how can this be established?